How to access medical records or information

Access to your health information along with the privacy of your health information is covered by the Health Records and Information Privacy Act 2002 (NSW) (HRIP Act).

If you would like to access your own health information or records, you have a right to request this by contacting the health service provider with whom your information is being held. This may be your GP, specialist or a hospital where you are or were a patient.

We recommend you put your request in writing to access the information you are requesting.

If the health service provider refuses to release the information to you, you have six months from becoming aware of the situation to make a complaint or seek a review of the conduct:

  • If it’s a private health service or organisation, make a complaint directly to our office
  • If it’s a public health service, lodge an internal review directly to the relevant Local Health District.

Our Fact sheet: how to access health information, has details of how to do so. 

If you are unable to access your health information because the doctor is deceased, retired or unable to be located, unfortunately we are unable to assist you.

Please note that the Information and Privacy Commission NSW (IPC) does not provide legal advice in any circumstances. If you are seeking legal advice, we suggest you contact LawAccess on 1300 888 529 or your local Community legal centre or the Law Society Solicitor Referral Service on 1800 422 713.