How do I get my information?

Under New South Wales (NSW) privacy laws, you have a right to access personal or health information that is held about you.

How do I access my personal information?

You should ask the agency, health service provider or organisation that holds health information above a certain size to give you access to the personal information that is being held by that agency or provider.

Depending on who you are requesting information from, the nature of the information (i.e. personal or health), and the law you are requesting that information under, there are rules about time frames and costs.

The table below summarises your access according to the relevant Act. Should you require further information about access to your information through the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998 (PPIP Act) or Health Records and Information Privacy Act 2002 (HRIP Act), please see our fact sheets:


Public sector agency
Public health agency

Public health agency
Private health service provider
Organisation holding health information (above $3 m turnover per year)

What information? Personal


How to? Informal or may require a form Informal or may require a form
Time frame for response Agency must provide without excessive delay. No other timeframe is specified Within 45 calendar days of receiving your request
Cost Free Without excessive expense

Please note: you may also request access to your health information from a private health service provider or organisation holding health information under the Federal Privacy Act 1988. Please contact the office of the Australian Privacy Commissioner for further information.

2 out of 5 star rating
Average: 2 (1 vote)