Accessing information from NSW Police

The Information and Privacy Commission NSW (IPC) does not hold or release information on behalf of other NSW public sector agencies. We can however explain how to request government information from agencies under the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 (GIPA Act).

If you would like to access information held by the NSW Police, we suggest you speak to the Information Access Unit for the NSW Police. A Right to Information Officer will be able to explain whether they will give you the information informally or whether you will need to make a formal access application under the GIPA Act.

Contact NSW Police Information Access Unit:

Phone: (02) 8835 6888

TTY: (02) 9211 3776 (Customer Assistance Unit)



Address: Locked Bag 5102, Parramatta NSW 2124

Fax No: (02) 8835 6811

If you make a formal access application and you are dissatisfied with the agency’s decision, you have the right to seek a review.

For further information about this process please refer to our Fact sheet: Your rights to accessing government information in NSW

Please note that the IPC does not provide legal advice in any circumstances. If you are seeking legal advice, we suggest you contact LawAccess on 1300 888 529, your local Community legal centre, or the Law Society Solicitor Referral Service on 1800 422 713.