The IPC supports Global Accessibility Awareness Day, 18 May 2023
The IPC supports Global Accessibility Awareness Day (GAAD), which aims to raise awareness about digital access and inclusion for people with disabilities.
GAAD acknowledges that individuals with a disability must be able to experience web-based services, content and other digital products with the same successful outcome as those without disabilities. It also seeks to assist people with creating new technology, websites or digital documents to ensure that the needs of those with disabilities have been taken into consideration.
GAAD holds a very important purpose in encouraging discussion about digital access and inclusion, and the more than One Billion people globally with disabilities/impairments.
The IPC proudly supports accessibility and inclusion through its own services such as the website’s ReadSpeaker, which allows you to access IPC website information in audio form. The IPC also supports the exercise of privacy and information access rights of persons with a disability, for example, through:
- a guide for NSW public sector agencies that handle personal information about adults with reduced decision-making abilities
- a simplified guide for information access to assist in making an application for information in NSW
- Information access audio/visual animations on ways to access government held-information and what happens when you make a GIPA application
- Privacy audio/visual animations on understanding the Information Protection Principles and also Health Privacy Principles under NSW privacy legislation
- the IPC’s Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan which outlines how the IPC seeks to improve the way it communicates with, and delivers services to, the diverse communities of NSW.
The IPC’s website also conforms to Level AA of the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 for all users including accessible font types and sizing, and access to PDF and HTML versions of its resources.
Learn more about Global Accessibility Awareness Day: https://accessibility.day/