Keep It Private this Data Privacy Week 24 – 28 January 2022
It’s Data Privacy Week this week from 24 to 28 January 2022, an expansion from the previous Data Privacy Day which was held on 28 January every year.
Data Privacy Week promotes awareness about the importance of privacy and ways to protect personal information, and encourages businesses to respect data and be more transparent about how they collect and use customer data.
The Information and Privacy Commission NSW (IPC) supports Data Privacy Week 2022 and this year’s theme to Keep it Private.
Some tips to Keep It Private this Data Privacy Week include:
- Store documents such as passports, driving licences, pay slips, tax returns, bank statements and bills in a safe place
- Shred or destroy personal documents you are throwing away such as bills, receipts, credit card statements and other documents that show your name, address or other personal details
- If you need to post personal documents, ask the post office for advice on the most secure method
- Limit the number of documents you carry around on you. Don’t leave personal documents in your vehicle or unattended
- Check your bank and credit card statements for unusual transactions
- Always use a different password and PIN for different accounts and take care when using public computers to access personal information
- Regularly check your records. Make sure your information is correct and up to date.
Hear from the NSW Privacy Commissioner Samantha Gavel on the importance of managing your data and safeguarding privacy in the video below.