Stay Smart Online Week 12 - 16 Oct 2015
The Privacy Commissioner and the Information and Privacy Commission are proud supporters of Stay Smart Online (SSO) Week, which focuses on remaining safe and secure when engaging in online services such as banking, shopping, education and social media using your computers and mobile devices.
This year’s theme is ‘Your Business is your business’, which covers small business and individuals’ online information security.
Here are some hot tips on staying safe online:
- Use strong passwords and a different password for each social networking site
- Regularly update your privacy settings on social networking sites
- Back up your data regularly
- Keep software and apps up to date to secure your mobile device
- Do not use public Wi-Fi for online banking, shopping or other financial transactions
How can you get involved?
- You can help promote the Stay Smart Online message through your channels using the SSO resources or linking to the Stay Smart Online official social media channels: Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
- Attach a ‘Stay Smart Online’ message and image to your school or workplaces email
- Write an article for your school or workplace newsletter or intranet
- Hold an event promoting the top tips and using the Stay Smart Online resources.
The IPC has developed a number of resources to help you stay safe online:
- Privacy Online Checklist 2015
- What do your privacy settings say about you?
- Mobile apps: the ABCs of privacy protection
- Keep your kids safe online – a guide for parents and teachers
Find out more about how to keep secure online at Stay Smart Online website (link de-activated) or visit our PAW 2015 page for more resources on protecting your privacy online.