Take control of your Data this Privacy Week 21 – 27 January 2024
It’s Data Privacy Week this week from 21 to 27 January 2024, an expansion from Data Privacy Day which is held on 28 January every year.
This second annual Data Privacy Week promotes awareness about the importance of privacy and ways to protect personal information, and encourages businesses to respect data and be more transparent about how they collect and use customer data.
The Information and Privacy Commission NSW (IPC) supports Data Privacy Week 2024 and this year’s theme, Take Control of Your Data.
Some tips to protect your data this Data Privacy Week include:
- Store documents such as passports, driving licences, pay slips, tax returns, bank statements and bills in a safe place
- Shred or destroy personal documents you are throwing away such as bills, receipts, credit card statements and other documents that show your name, address or other personal details
- If you need to post personal documents, ask the post office for advice on the most secure method
- Limit the number of documents you carry around on you. Don’t leave personal documents in your vehicle or unattended
- Check your bank and credit card statements for unusual transactions
- Always use a different password and PIN for different accounts and take care when using public computers to access personal information
- Regularly check your records. Make sure your information is correct and up to date.