Agency GIPA Dashboard
Under the GIPA Act and the Government Information (Public Access) Regulation 2018, agencies are required to report annually to the Information Commissioner on their obligations.These reports are used by the IPC as the basis for the Information Commissioner’s annual Report on the Operation of the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009, across all agencies and dis-aggregated to the sector level.
In July 2016 the IPC provided sector-wide data back to agencies in open format with enhanced reporting features to enable agencies to better measure and assess performance. Previously agency data was only available via an agency’s annual report. The IPC is now making agency-level data more accessible by publishing it in a form that allows deeper analysis and comparisons. The Agency Dashboard enables the public and agencies to see how the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 is working against the eight key performance measures reported upon each year since 2014.
These measures are:
- the number and trend of valid GIPA applications lodged with agencies
- the number and rate of invalid applications
- the categories of applicants (e.g. members of the public, private sector businesses, members of Parliament, members of the media, or not-for-profit organisations)
- what information was asked for (e.g. whether personal or other-than-personal information was sought)
- the outcomes of applications, in particular whether information was released in full, in part, refused in full, as well as other outcomes
- how quickly decisions were made, in particular the rate at which decisions were made within 20 working days, plus extensions
- the number of reviews of decisions by the agency (including internal reviews, review by the Information Commissioner, internal review following a recommendation by the Information Commissioner and review by NCAT)
- review outcomes, as measured by the percentage of applications which were reviewed, and the percentage of reviews where the decision was upheld.
Using improved data visualisation tools, the dashboard (example featured below) provides clear insights into the performance of GIPA Act functions by sectors and agencies and also recognises the differing internal and external factors that impact the operationalisation of the GIPA Act and the outcomes of access decisions by agencies.
While the material contained in this dashboard has been formulated with all due care, the IPC does not warrant or represent that the material is free from errors or omission, or that it is exhaustive. Read the IPC Disclaimer for more information.
Data updates by agencies may affect historical data and future reporting. This dashboard will be updated to reflect any changed data.
In this dashboard, data that has been reported aligned with the following sectors:
- State-owned corporations.
How to provide feedback
We encourage you to view the above resources and provide us with feedback via the following channels: