The IPC supports International Day of Democracy 15 September 2022
The Information and Privacy Commission NSW (IPC) supports International Day of Democracy on 15 September 2022.
The values of freedom, respect for human rights and the principle of holding periodic and genuine elections by universal suffrage are essential elements of democracy. In turn, democracy provides the natural environment for the protection and effective realisation of human rights.
The right to access information and the right to privacy are both encapsulated in Articles 19 and 22 respectively of the United Nations’ Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
In NSW, these rights are protected under the:
- Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 (GIPA Act)
- Government Information (Public Access) Regulation 2018 (GIPA Regulation)
- Government Information (Information Commissioner) Act 2009 (GIIC Act)
- Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998 (PPIP Act)
- Health Records and Information Privacy Act 2002 (HRIP Act)
The IPC helps citizens understand and exercise their right to access government information and right to privacy and has numerous information access and privacy resources available for citizens and NSW public sector agencies online.
Learn more about International Day of Democracy here.