Protect your data this Data Privacy Week 22 – 28 January 2023
It’s Data Privacy Week this week from 22 to 28 January 2023, an expansion from Data Privacy Day which is held on 28 January every year.
Data Privacy Week promotes awareness about the importance of privacy and ways to protect personal information, and encourages businesses to respect data and be more transparent about how they collect and use customer data.
The Information and Privacy Commission NSW (IPC) supports Data Privacy Week 2023 and this year’s theme, Data: The Story of You.
Some tips to protect your data this Data Privacy Week include:
- Store documents such as passports, driving licences, pay slips, tax returns, bank statements and bills in a safe place
- Shred or destroy personal documents you are throwing away such as bills, receipts, credit card statements and other documents that show your name, address or other personal details
- If you need to post personal documents, ask the post office for advice on the most secure method
- Limit the number of documents you carry around on you. Don’t leave personal documents in your vehicle or unattended
- Check your bank and credit card statements for unusual transactions
- Always use a different password and PIN for different accounts and take care when using public computers to access personal information
- Regularly check your records. Make sure your information is correct and up to date.
Learn more about your privacy rights in NSW here and more information about Data Privacy Week here.